This month in the LACC we are celebrating both Halloween and Dia de los Muertos with a book display and an ofrenda!
The Halloween-themed display, Myths, Legends, Witchcraft, and More, includes books about folklore from different places across Latin America and the Caribbean. The display also includes a few books related to Dia de los Muertos / Day of the Dead.
Selected books in the Latin American and Caribbean Collection
The display is available to the left of the circulation desk, visible right as you enter our space. All books in the display are available for check-out, so don’t hesitate to borrow one!
Books currently on display include:
- Muerte, Cultos y Cementerios (Villa Posse, 1993)
- Folklore Stories of Trinidad and Tobago (Ramsawack, 2017)
- Undead Uprising: Haiti, Horror, and the Zombie Complex (Cussans, 2017)
- Cuban Legends (Bueno, 2003)
- Caribbean Folklore: A Handbook (Hill, 2007)
- The Festival of Bones / El festival de la calaveras (San Vicente, 2002)
- Folklore literario hondureño (Ardón Mejía, 1997)
Additionally, to the right of the entrance of LACC there is an ofrenda setup. This ofrenda was installed by the Mexicans in Gainesville, who installed this alter in dedication to victims of COVID-19.
We encourage you to stop by our space to see the ofrenda and check out a book or two!
And to continue with the celebrations, please join us in LACC on Dia de los Muertos (November 1st, 2022) between 8a-5p for some Day of the Dead crafting (while supplies last).