The new LACC display “Black History Month: Latin American and Caribbean Heritage” is now installed opposite the circulation desk. LACC has a wealth of resources related to, and created by, people of African descent, particularly in the Caribbean and Brazil but also in every country in the Americas. This month’s display focuses on cultural production, specifically music and poetry, including an audio CD of Cuban poet Nicolás Guillén reading his work, graphic novels about Mary Seacole and Frantz Fanon, and documentaries about the life of Marcus Garvey, among others.
We also have a table set aside for books and videos about Haiti. This part of the display compliments some of the material in the online exhibit The Haitian American Dream Timeline.
Items on display (with UF Library catalog links):
- Ciriez, Frédéric, author.; Romain Lamy, illustrator, artist. Frantz Fanon (graphic novel). Paris: La Découverte, 2020.
- Nelson, Stanley et al. Marcus Garvey: Look for me in the whirlwind (DVD, 90min.). United States: PBS Video, 2004.
- Campbell, Horace. Rasta and resistance: From Marcus Garvey to Walter Rodney. 4th ed. London: Hansib Publications, 2007.
- Téwodros Kāsāhun et al. Africa Unite: A Celebration of Bob Marley’s 60th Birthday (DVD, 89min.). New York, NY : Palm Pictures, 2007.
- Rivera-Rideau, Petra R. et al., eds. Afro-Latin@s in movement: Critical approaches to blackness and transnationalism in the Americas. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016.
- Cadernos Negros (serial). São Paulo: Quilombhoje, 1989-present. Library has 1993-present
- Luz, Marco Aurélio. Panorama da tradição africano-brasileira. Salvador : EDUFBA, 2020.
- Morriset, Jean. Chant pour Haiti. Montreal: Memoire d’encrier, 2014.
- Garnel Michel. Bak Lakay: l’appel d’une riche et glorieuse nation à ses enfants. Haïti : C3 Editions, 2019.
- Clitandre, Nadège T. Edwidge Danticat: The Haitian Diasporic Imaginary. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2018.
- Robins, Jeremy., Magali Damas, DJA-Rara (Musical group). The Other side of the water: The journey of a Haitian Rara Band in Brooklyn (DVD). Brooklyn, N.Y.: Ibis Productions, 2010.
- Bougher, Jon., and Roman Safiullin. Bound by Haiti (DVD). Watertown, Mass.: Documentary Educational Resources, 2010.
- Also available as streaming (UF affiliates using the UF network or Gatorlink VPN)
- Ménager, Mona Cassion. Fine Haitian Cuisine: A broad collection of Haitian Recipes, 2nd ed. (Cookbook) Pompano Beach, Fla.: Educa Vision, 2012.
Additional DVDs selected for Black History Month are located at the Circulation Desk.